The Smith Institute’s programme of work covers a range of inter-related policy areas and themes This gives focus to our research and enables us to make best use of our expertise and knowledge. Often the policy areas overlap, and the Institute has experience in connecting issues and giving a political context. We pride ourselves on being able to offer both big picture insights and ideas as well as smaller more technical findings and best practice advice.
- Economy and local growth
- World of work
- Welfare, poverty and inequality
- Public services
- Government and politics
Our overriding purpose is to develop ideas and policies which enhance both fairness and prosperity. As such our work on these research areas – which often overlap – is focused on what works and what can make a difference.
We have first-hand experience of working within Whitehall, Westminster and town halls and understand the barriers to policy implantation and effective delivery. The Institute is able to pull on its network of advisers and experts, as well as using quantitative analysis to understand policy challenges and costs and benefits of intervention. This comprehensive research approach is supplemented by our political knowledge and experience.
- Experience and insights into the policymaking process
- In-depth knowledge of public policy across specific policy areas
- Detailed understanding of the political dynamics and public opinion
- Engaging policy makers, practitioners and experts when developing policy recommendations
- Experience and expertise in scrutinising existing policies and developing and road-testing new ideas